As per rules of the State Administration of Foreign Exchange, residents or non-residents carrying more cash in foreign currency outbound than last declared inbound, or carrying cash above certain threshold with no record of the latest declaration inbound, must apply for the Permit for Carrying Foreign Currency Outbound, and declare at customs at departure.
If you have foreign currency deposit in ICBC and need to withdraw some cash to carry overseas, you may apply for the Permit for Carrying Foreign Currenty Outbound (the "Permit") at ICBC outlets, which would be issued to you based on relevant rules.
☆ Service Channel
At ICBC designated outlets, call local customer service hotline 95588 for details.
☆ Operation Guide
1. No need to apply for Permit for amount under USD 5,000 (inclusive) or equivalent The customs will let go, except those in the case of traveling many times in a day or within a short period.
2. Apply at ICBC for the Permit for amount over USD 5,000 to USD 10,000 (inclusive) or equivalent with ICBC deposit voucher, passport or valid visa. At departure, Customs will let go by checking if Certificate is duly stamped by ICBC.
3. If over USD 10,000 is brought out of China, apply for Permit at branches of State Administration of Foreign Exchange ("SAFE") located at the same place as the ICBC deposit outlet or the ICBC branch where F/X is bought. Customs will let go by checking if the Permit is duly stamped by SAFE.
4. If multiple Permit are used and if the cumulative total of all FX Certificates stamped by ICBC is over USD 10,000 or equivalent, Customs will not let go.
5. Permit is valid for one time within 30 days from issue date.